måndag 12 augusti 2013

Hither and dither

After an (almost) complete week of very (well...) hard work, I decided that I was sorely in need of a vacation. We are very lucky to have friends who a) are really, really nice, b) live in one of the prettiest parts of the world and c) very kindly invited us to stay.

So we went to England.

When I was young I used to listen a lot to Kate Bush, and this is exactly like her song Oh England my Lionheart,
...
Give me one kiss in the appleblossom,
Give me one wish and I'd be wassailing
In the orchard my English Rose,
Or with my shepherd who'll bring me home...


Not that I exactly know what wassailing means, but never mind small details like that -  this is exactly how I feel!

We had a truly wonderful week. We did a Grand Tour of many stately homes and gardens. And, also, to be quite honest, of many wonderful Tea Rooms and Tea Gardens.

We went to Tyntesfield and were amazed that people in the late 1800's really had money and imagination to build a place like this! With a wonderful library. Many equally wonderful windows and I suddenly realised that I am what is known as a window photographer (whereas Sue might be called a bee photographer).



OK, so I did photograph some bees myself - it just couldn't be helped.
We also went to Clevedon. A very British thing, a pier. And when there is a pier, well you simply have to walk out on it, don't you? We admired the views. Took photos of an especially attractive view. Read some of the lovely plaques. Yes, it is nice - very nice - to be by the sea!

The next day we went to Barrington court - the gardens were amazing! Several of them, and yes, Gertrude Jekyll had had something to do with the planning. Good old Gertrude - she knew what she was doing! The house itself was also very impressive, but unfurnished, so that one would get an impression of what it would have looked like when the National Trust took it on.





Barrington was really lovely, but then we went to Lytes Cary. What can I say? Except that it completely blew me off my feet! (I don't really know if there is an expression like that, but if there is not, there really should be). So wonderfully, heartbreakingly, amazingly wonderful! Just like something out of a fairytale, on a very convenient scale. I could live there, yes I could.



I truly think that the National Trust scheme is a very good thing - all these wonderful and different places to go and visit. We have seen quite a few of them during our vacation, all different, on different scales but all food for the imagination!

Some old and impressive. Like Barrington. Some "new" and impressive. Like Tyntesfield. Some old and quaint and just lovely. Like Lytes Cary. And some elengant and refined. Like Dyrham House. We did watch The Remainder of the Day in the evening, and then we could say; "yes, we were there". Although without Anthony Hopkins as the butler, which is just as well as I would have been terribly intimidated.




And then we went to a whole National Trust village! Lacock, which also is straight out of a fairy book, or a Jane Austen for that matter.
 Being somewhat of an Austen addict, I of course recognised Meryton and was just waiting for Mr. Darcy to come riding on horseback. However, he must have been busy for he didn't turn up. Well that was his loss, as he missed a glorious tea at the Tea Garden!
After having regained our strenght with tea and Wiltshire rarebits we wandered round the Abbey - another enchanted place. I do believe that England is filled to the brim with enchanted places!

But this week was not all about pottering around the countryside, no indeed! There was cricket to be explained and watched. Sue and I did go to the cricket ground and watched for about five minutes, so I can in all honesty say that I have been to a real cricket match. And five minutes, that was about enough, I'd say, although the men did spend quite a few hours there.

We also had a glorious Afternoon Tea in the garden of the Royal Crescent Hotel. We went there in March, and this was equally scrumptious and wonderful, but in a more summery kind of way. We were very happy, and really very full at the end of it! Sometimes I think that it is a good thing that clotted cream and I live quite far apart.






It has been a wonderful week! With breakfasts in the garden. Lovely food. Beautiful cats! Lovely walks around the countryside. Strolling through Bath. We feel wonderfully relaxed and have really enjoyed our stay!

Let me just give  you one word of advise; should anyone ask you "would you like a piece of Turkish coffee cake?" this is not the time to hesitate. Not the time to ponder the eternal question of should I? Should I not? Just go for it! Say; yes, please. I'll have a large piece!! Trust me. You will not regret it.

There are so many more photos. So many more memories. But they will have to wait for a little while.

9 kommentarer :

  1. so fantastic irene! i LOVE your posts and feel in a small way that i've been along with you, i always learn something new. Love your window shots (i think i may like doors). what a fabulous week you had. and yes please, i'll have the turkish cake!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, that's really nice of you! Especially since you have such a fantastic blog yourself!

      Doors would also be a good subject. As for the turkish coffee cake I have asked Sue for the recipe and will give it a try, but am not sure whether I will be able to make it as good.

      Radera
  2. p.s. you look very pretty in your floral dress!

    SvaraRadera
  3. I'm deadly jealous. Deadly deadly deadly jealous. It looks marvellous. It looks breathtaking. It looks English.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I'm almost jealous of myself - it was a fabulous trip!

      Radera
  4. It was so lovely to see you - a lovely week for us too!!

    (however, looking at the photos, it is clear that I was quite right to join weightwatchers yesterday!)

    oh and Lori Ann; the turkish coffee cake is yours, should you visit!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Good for you! I am sure it will be helpful for the dodgy knees - I was a little worried since I "forced" you to walk so much. I'm sure you will do very well!

      Radera
  5. Nu blev jag extremt sugen på en semester i England... med solsken. Det är väl där någonstans garantierna uteblir antar jag, även om ni verkar ha dragit en vinstlott i väderlotteriet. :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Inte en droppe kom det på hela veckan - ja om man undantar nätterna, men då sov vi ju!

      Radera

Obs! Endast bloggmedlemmar kan kommentera.